- Popular Searches
In 1866, Gavriil Petrovich Grachev established a silversmith firm in St. Petersburg. After Gavriil’s death in 1873, the business was continued by his sons Mikhail, Alexei, Grigorii, Simeon, Nikolai, Gavriil, Petr and Ivan, and thereafter became known as ‘Grachev Brothers’. Since Grachev Brothers had no official mark of their own, it was habitual for the firm to retail works bearing the personal marks of the masters who worked for them.
While the firm always remained relatively small, the quality of its output was recognised as being exceptional. The result was that Grachev Brothers received a number of important commissions from European royalty and nobility. From 1886, the firm became a principal supplier to the King of Denmark and one of the most prominent suppliers of silver to the Russian Imperial Court, even rivalling Carl Fabergé. The enthusiasm and talent of the brothers led to the firm gaining international recognition, with pieces wining prizes in the 1983 Chicago World Fair.
The factory operated until the final year of the First World War, closing in early 1918.